Saturday, July 10, 2010

Uncle!

UNCLE!!!

I feel like we've been transported to the desert, the ground is so dry the babies have ran paws sore, and when the dogs play in the early AM(only time it's really cool to play), the dust is enough to choke a horse.

It is HORRID!!!

And keeping dogs cool has been a nightmare. No central air inside, it's cooler outside than inside some days. Unfortunately, Grins forgot to get the memo that he is not a young whipper snapper and can not do stupid crap like fence race his son when it's warm, so he's been delegated to a crate in the house to keep him calm, a fan helps keep him cool.

The rest of the dogs each have huge wading pools. Really, they're giant horse troughs, and it's interesting to see how each dog interacts with them. Eros & Reba will sprawl out in them, as will the big hairy beast Bagheera, where all you can see is their little eyes over the rim. Gibbs & Ziva will stand in it and splash themselves. In fact, they are no longer flashy irish marked dogs, they are self brown LOL. I'm surprised Tipperary hasn't turned green as much as she hangs around the pool.

Giant craters are dug to help keep them cool. If it keeps up, we may have to put them int he basement to keep them cool . .it's been awful.

What's scary is the performance events that go on. There was a three day coursing trial an hour from here, with temperatures of over 100, I can't understand why people go, or why trials are held in July for that very reason. LGRA & NOTRA meets have been cancelled because of the high temps, but it seems that coursing WILL GO ON. My dogs are outdoor dogs, but I would never course them in temps like this. .the one time I did(not realising how hot it was) cost me $3000 in ER vet bills. . I had hoped to go Saturday, when it was supposed to be low 80s, but once the week progressed, I opted to stay home when the temps ended up being high 80s. .I so wanted to get Ziva's QC and work on Reba's FCH, but cant' afford an ER vet bill. . .nope

Makes training dogs hard, Bella's first show is this weekend, and haven't been able to work with her much, because of the heat, missed out on Rally class this week, cuz of the heat. .blech. Thankfully, the weather is breaking for the shows this weekend, with a frigid 79 expected for Saturday LOL

What I have been doing, is working with Tipperary. . Tipp had gotten into this "You can't catch me" BS at racing to the poitn I've had to pull her. She's a very sweet, decently fast, silly dog, but like her great uncle Eros, when the bunny stops, she has no interest in it. Where he'll come to me or someone for petting, she takes for the hills, galloping gleefully away from me for 5-10mins before she goes oops, guess I should come back. My asthma and nerves can't take her taking this. She's almost half way towards her title, I'd hate to see her never reach it. . unfortunately, this habit has gotten worse over the last few months. She wont' even come when called in the yard.

So, the magic meatballs have been introduced to Tipperary, and it took her a few days, but thankfully she also has great uncle Eros' appetite, and she realised she REALLY likes these treats, and if she comes to me, she GETS these treats. .. we'll slowly wean off the treats to ear rubs (since I don't like giving treats right after a run) She's coming pretty reliably in the dog yard, and Saturday after the show, we'll go to the front field(think that's 8 acres completely fenced) and see how she recalls there. I'm hoping to have her fixed from this issue before the meets this fall.


Otherwise, we're jsut workign to stay cool .. and praying for rain, please rain!!!

No comments: