Monday, May 24, 2010

another angel gone

Pandora 4/6/94-5/22/10
More on the national when life slows down. . . it was a stressful week, as soon as I left, Pandora crashed at the vet. . .a week later, she slipped away, less than 36 hrs before I got home. .She was 16 yrs old, but even that wasn't long enough

She was only special to me, a little mongrel blue torbie kitty with an attitude bigger than her body. . .I got her 15+ yrs ago when a co worker had to get rid of cats, and I knew she was the one, as she was born on my birthday, and so she came to live with me and the dogs
She was the prissy princess, loving to snuggle, barely put up with her little brothers who towards the end would harass her to no end, and since she weighed in at 5 lbs to their 15+ lbs, I had to step in on that.
She moved from TX to NY to MD with me, a constant mouthy companion, she didn't put up with much from anyone. She had an attitude, but I loved it.

20 months ago, she was diganosed with thyroid disease, which we maintained with meds, and even tho she dropped down to 5-5.5 lbs, she maintained that weight for over a year. . .visiting the Vets when I went out of town to make sure she got her meds, which she enjoyed, I called it the spa away from the brats . She got all the canned food she could eat, scritches from the nurses, spoiled rotten

I almost cancelled my trip when she started acting sick two fridays ago, but thought it was the cold that had started going thru the dogs. Knowing she'd be better off at the vets, which is something between an ER & a normal vet, with hrs 7am -11pm, 7 days a week, I reluctantly left her, and headed off. . five hours into the trip I get a call that she'd crashed, they did a chemscreen and SubQ fluids, and by the time we got to the hotel, she'd perked up slightly. The next day, they called to tell me she was eating like a piggy.

THe week was a whirlwind of activities along with worry as she would get better, only to get worse. . .the chemscreen came back almost perfect, which confused the vet . .by Thursday, if I hadn't driven out with my handler, I'd've raced home, as I had a feeling this was it. . .

Friday night, she was in my thoughts all night long, and I sent out a thought to her not to hold on for me, if she was ready to go, go. .. that mommy still loved her even if I couldn't hold her one last time. Yeah, cheesy, but it comforts me. . .

Saturday morning, I got awaken by a call, the call I didn't want, my sweet little princess had slipped away from her failing body. . .the vacation I'd been looking forward to for months, became the vacation from hell . .and I feel so bad for not being there to hold her. . .

These are my kids, so it kills me to lose them. .people tell me it gets easier, but after 15 yrs, gotta say, it doesn't get easier, it hurts like hell each time I lose one of them. She was a sweet loving soul, not important to anyone but me, but she was my baby girl

Find Obie & Kyra up there sweetie. . and wait for mommy


1 comment:

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

I gotta stop reading these sad posts at work! So sorry to hear about Pandora. How awful not to be there. I can definitely understand the pain... but maybe she did hear you. Hope memories have you smiling again soon.