Thursday, March 29, 2012

DNA testing

My dogs have been participating in various research groups for years now. . Obie donated blood to bone cancer research, touchet & Eros donated DNA to research on dental health, almost everyone I currently own is DM Clear by test or parentage(Still need to do Bounce, and debating whether to bother with Touchet). I am so proud of my puppy buyers who've gone on to DM test their dogs for the furthering of the breed health database, even if the dogs may never be bred or are past breeding age or retired.

But recently my dogs, well one currently, has stepped into another research field. Bounce donated blood to Vetgen for DNA Colour gene analysis

What colour is this borzoi?
Bounce (Shown above at just under a year) at birth, looked all the world to be a blue brindle, but as she matured, we wondered. ..at 15 months old, she looks like a chinchilla, except that she has dark dark dark dark dark grey pigment. Unlike our other blue, she has dark eyes. People argued with me she wasn't a brindle, and she couldnt' be a blue, so when I heard that research was being done into the 'chinchilla' gene, so we decided to do Bounce

I just got the results of first of the three tests they do, and yep, I'm right, she is brindle (kbrkbr will contribute brindle, cannot contribute fawn) is the results so far. . it'll be interesting to see if she's a chinchilla or actually a blue. .I don't care, I love her for so much more than just her beautiful colour :) I'm just tickled she can donate to further research.

Next on my list is to do Bella, who's an odd colour herself!





No comments: