Thursday, March 27, 2008

VENTING

why oh why don't people look up references of people they sell or buy dogs from?

I mean, COME ON. . we're there to help YOU out, to help YOU not get screwed, why do people ignore this?

Case 1) Big name OB(Other breed) person sells a puppy to scumbag Borzoi breeder, then sells her two more, without bothering to check up on her, without bothering to call BCOA or NBRF to find out what kind of person she is. Now it looks seriously like there's been a falling out, why? I'm giong to assume cuz Scumbag bred her barely 1 yr old male OB to her older girl. . .typical of Scumbag Breeder. . .and if Big Name Breeder had asked around, she'd've been TOLD so.

Case 2) Breeder breeds to a dog I bred, without coming to me to ask what health problems/structural faults are behind him, has a large litter, and OMG, every single structural fault I could've told them would appear(Dam has the faults, and the sire's dam's line has the same faults) haev shown up in that litter. . .and I could've told them that. .if they'd asked. This same scenario plays on over and over and over. heck, even when you do ask, it sometimes will bite ya in the butt anyway, BTDT, but at least you ASKED!!!

Case 3) Breeder is contacted by a puppy buyer of mine, who speaks highly of me, but do they contact me to ask me about puppy buyer? No. Thankfully, this is a wonderful puppy buyer I'd recommend to the gods if need be, but you just never know.

Case 4) breeder sells a puppy to a buyer out of state, without asking friends if they know this person, or doing a homecheck. Puppy is returned a year later in horrid shape, so underexercised, because puppy'd been living in an itty bitty run, no proper excercise, lots of forced excercise(long walks).

Case 5) Buyer goes and buys a puppy from breeder X. . .without askign for referrals from people who've sold or purchased a dog from breeder, including a friend that had. When given people buyer NEEDS to talk to about the Breeder, refuses to. . .

and the list goes on. . .then there's the people who do ask for referrals and then go and buy the dog anyway, only to come back and go, I'm sorry, you told me so . .. ARGH

And there's the people you DO ask, who say nothing, even tho they know bad things, because they're afraid. Instead of sending you on to someone who CAN give you the truth, they clam up. .

COME ON PEOPLE. It's for the betterment of the dogs and the breed and to encourage new people to come into the breed. if they come in, get hooked up with a scumbag and get hurt, they may leave the breed, and sorry, just look at the recent BCOA letter, we NEED new blood. .

I have had two breeders ask me what's behind my dogs, one when she had an oops between two siblings, not before she bred to their sire, but at least she finally came and asked. And i've had numerous people, after they've been lubed, screwed & tattooed, tell me they wish they'd listened to me in the first place before dealing with a breeder.

And that leads me to the next gripe. Why the HELL do people insist on buying baby puppies as show/performance dogs? Often times before you know if the testicles are there and going to stay, and many times before you even know what the bite is goign to be like. You can't tell what's going to be a performance dog until they're much older, and that is something I've learned from someone who's been doign this since the 70's, so I think her word is pretty much written in stone. And you have no clue on confirmation at this age either, I proved that with Beau, beautiful 8 wk old puppy, developed into a pet quality adult. .

I have bought 4 puppies at a young age, and had ONE turn out. The one I saw in the flesh. Rio was a giant, sweet, pet. PC was a midsized, sweet, pet, and Yanna was a wonderful sweet pet. . .none of them were show quality, none of them were real performance dogs (on plastic, yanna'd chase a squawker, but not plastic), and I bought/picked them all out at a young age(Rio-5-6ish wks, PC at 4 months, Yanna at 4-5 wks). You just can't tell. Oh wait, there was a fifth puppy I picked out, but didn't buy, she grew up to be gorgeous, and missing SIX teeth!!

Youngest I've sold a puppy to a MAYBE show home(they'd show him IF he turned out) was 10 wks, but they had to have that puppy when he was 2 wks old. Unfortunately, he didn't turn out, but did they learn? Nope, they've bought two more young puppies, but they're mainly a pet home will dabbles in performance/showing. . . I knew that unless he was vicious, or tried to bite a human, he wouldn't come back to me.

But most people who want show dogs, don't have room for 'just a pet' (nothing against just a pet, people, I've had a few of those myself, but currently don't have room for one that does nothing but take up space). . .so I don't understand the need to get a puppy as young as possible, I know what fuels the breeders. . .but the buyers just boggle my mind. I don't want my puppies coming back, so I refuse to sell to a for sure show home, they want a puppy younger than I'll let a show pup go, they can go elsewhere.

::SIGH:: it's as frustrating as the people who go to a show only breeder for a performance dog :P

No comments: