Or why Renee hates traveling
I am just not destined to travel out of my area for competition. . and last weekend prooves it.
First, LARK cancells its meets, after I worked to get coverage and was going to rent a car, and had everything all figured out.
So, asked around, and we were going to have an 8 Borzoi entry in RI. . cool, Gossip'd only ever ran against one of the dogs that was coming, and Orleans is a fast little tri, two of them were going to be Stardust kiddos, another girl I'd never seen before, and my kiddos. .so it was worth driving that long darn drive to run. . . Made Pandora's reservations at the vet(she needs thyroid meds, so to make sure she gets 'em, she goes to the Vet's, yep, having older animals makes life harder to do things like go away for the weekend)
Then Bonnie got me worrying about my little car. . it's 11 yrs old, it only had 39,700 miles on it, but she was like what if it breaks down, it's a long way, so not only did I not sleep Thursday worrying about that, the entire drive to Rhode Island, every noise had me wondering if it was my car, every strange smell had me wondering if it was my car(and when you go through Philly there's a lot of disgusting strange smells to be found LOL, none of which have anything to do with your vehicle) And I hate Philly anyway, it's a PITA to drive thru, because they can't DRIVE! I have yet to drive thru it and not get stuck in traffic.. . Just before I hit Newark, Rebecca called and said she was only going to come Sunday, as it'd been a bad few days at work and she hadn't been home much .. there goes two dogs. . .
Thankfully because Philly sucked so bad, didn't hit NYC until after rush hour, but still got stuck in traffic in CT due to construction. . .I hate the NE. . .finally got to the hotel at 11. . .and then couldn't sleep. . .LOVELY!!
JOhn told me Mr Wiz was housebroke, but I did not like the way he was eyeing the comforter, so I pulled out the vet wrap and he got a nice little belt lOL. . he wasn't happy. . .Gossip was, she got to snuggle in the huge bed, and laid there contentedly .she reminds me so much of her Uncle Obie sometimes, tho Wiz's personality showed this weekend and it was like I had Obie's shadow on my shoulder as i'm driving, cuz his little black head was there. he's such a good, sweet boy, he really is.
And even without having slept well the night before, being exhausted as can be when I checked in, couldn't sleep :P
So, get there Saturday, to find out Orleans had pulled, she was in season, Lucky wasn't coming, because Winnie was putting down her cat. . stuff like this doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, but it's annoying when the fates do this to you when you drive this darn far LOL. Oh well, least I got to see Mr Snoopdog who I adore, and met some lovely people, and the weather was GORGEOUS!!!!
But a small meet means you work your butt. .we had 8 workers, two others showed up and help, which made a big difference, but still made it tough. And Grins decided to be a pistol, I could not get him off that bunny, he was channelling his Great grandfather well, his feet becoming clawed dragon paws as he wrapped them around the bunny and then yanked the bunny to his chest.. he may not one of the fastest dogs out there anymore, but he's definitely one of the damn keenest. I can usually pull three dogs off the bunny, it took two of us just to pull HIM off it. . I was ready to kill him LOL
A benefit of a small meet is you can learn to run the lure, which I've been slowly doing, running it for the smaller/slower breeds, but this weekend got to do that for the iggies, greyhounds, a Borzoi puppy(Kyra great grandson), and a couple of whippets, so it was a nice experience, and this lure machine was a nice one, very smooth running. .was great. It's also really really neat watching a new dog finally GET it. . beebop along, and then ZOOM
So, waiting for the last race of the day, and had to go potty, lol Not normally a problem, right? Unless you've got a chest rattling cough. .then it causes problems. Especially when the little girls room was a 5 min walk from the field. .told 'em I'd be right back, pulled the blankets off the car and threw them in the trunk, shut the trunk, and knew right then and there, the keys are in the trunk.
And there's no way to get in the trunk of this neon other than thru the trunk
F*CK! And of course, i'm 8 hrs from home, with no spare keys. . why no spare? NEVER done this before :P . (also never had a car you can't get in the damn trunk from anyway BUT the trunk before, duh)
Finished the races, packed up while we waited on AAA, THEY spent 30 mins unable to get in the car after 90 mins not being able to find us LOL. . .guy was incredulous. . what happens if a kid crawls in the trunk with the keys and shuts it? I said well, thankfully I keep the trunk so full of dog crap, no kid could fit in there LOL. . .finally 3+ hrs after the event ended, the lock smith showed up, and by the end of his time, he hated my car too, had a problem making the key. Gossip spent the time hunting squirrels
Good lord. . .that blew the budget. . .which I could've swallowed, if the entry hadn't tanked LOL. . .
Yep, gets better.
We go back to the hotel, Iggy John stays with the 10 iggies while us ladies go to this nummy local restaurant for dinner, and we all splurged and got steak, which was absolutely WONDERFUL. . was so damn exhausted, told them I knew I'd have no problem sleeping. .got back to my room, walked the four dogs, fed them, settled down in bed, and was wide awake. . could not sleep at all Saturday night either. . lovely
Gossip & Reba then decided to do the Borzoi Hat dance, including racing around and twirling in the hotel room. .finally got Reba up on the bed, and she was like wow, why haven't I found these before? LOL Finally fell asleep for a few hours, got up, and met Terri to follow her back to the field.
At which I get a call from Rebecca, 2 hrs away from home, 45 mins from the field, a tire blew out on her car and she was still waiting for AAA.
Making it just me and my guys again. Yep, an expensive weekend,. . .should've stayed home. . nah, it was a nice weekend, despite nasty cold rainy weather yesterday weather, with good people and good dogs, the borzoi races are getting more exciting, as Wizard is now really pushing Gossip. . .Grins isn't too far behind, but he's definitely not as fast as he once was. . .Gossip's having to work hard for her bunny. . .
so, nobody can't say i didn't try to go out of my area, LOL told Bonnie it just wasn't meant to be. . .instead, we're trying to build a big Borzoi entry for the VA meet, since so many of us can't afford to do the nationals this year :)
No comments:
Post a Comment